Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Class and life in España

     I started class on the 4th of June. The first week seemed to go by pretty quick and it wasn't too bad. Now, this week has been terrible it seems! I CAN NOT stand my class taught through the University of Granada. I was expecting so much more in this class. I was hoping there would be more art and explanation of the art not 1200 years worth of art and architecture in only 16 days!!!!!! Grrr... I hate when I don't understand stuff either. There are a few people in my class that know so much more than the others. And I can tell that they don't like me asking questions either. But those of you who actually know me know that that is what I do, that this is what I have always done, ask questions. I have questioned everything my entire life. It is the only way I am going to know how things are done. One more rant...We go through Toilet paper like no ones business...! Huge pet peeve of mine. I think it is because of the French boys that I living with us now. They are only 14! They leave the toilet seat up and leave the toilet paper behind the toilet...I think they may wipe the tip of their pee-pees' but I'm not sure. Its just annoying to not know where it is all going!!!! Yikers man...

     Next topic: We went on our first excursion! We went to these ruins called Madinat al-Zahra. It was this palace created by the Caliph at the time who was Muslim. When the Christians arrived, they told the Caliph that they couldn't build a paradise on earth so the Christians tore it down. We got to see 1/10 of the site because the other 9/10 haven't been excavated yet. What we saw were gorgeous ruins of what would have been their version on paradise. We then drove a bit further into the city of Cordoba and stopped at the Cathedral there which was still in use and sooo gorgeous. There were so many paintings and Arabic writings on the stone there.

     A group of us along with our teachers took a hike up to the place called the Alhambra. The view of Granada from there is so breath taking! You can see people across the way at this place called the Albyzin taking pictures of Alhambra. That view though is so gorgeous. I wish I was able to upload pictures onto my tablet from my camera...no USB or SD ports :(

     One thing that has been so hard is the language barrier since I have been here. I can slightly understand Spanish and can hardly say a word. It has been so difficult. I started to cry at our excursion because I couldn't understand our guide. It is hard to like or share an experience of a description of a place when you can't understand the language. It was so frustrating. I was second guessing my decision of even coming to Spain last night. I was thinking that it may have not been worth the money but I won't know for sure till the end of the trip. I will let you all know then. Anywho, It's time for me to take a siesta ( from 2-5 pm all the shops close, the employees go home, eat lunch, then nap. It's awesome!). There will be more to come later!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment